Dear MSEA-SEIU Member,
If you haven’t yet run for election to serve on the MSEA-SEIU Board of Directors or a union committee, there are many opportunities to step up. Please consider running. Join me as an elected leader in our member-run union! Together, we’ll safely advocate in this pandemic for all Maine workers, active and retired.
Terms on our Board of Directors, Finance Committee, VEBA (Voluntary Employee Benefits Association) Committee and PASER (Political Action by Service Employees and Retirees) Committee are expiring at year’s end. All MSEA Board and committees are adapting to the pandemic by doing the union’s work remotely to keep everyone safe.
In order to run, you must be nominated. Every member, in good standing, has a right to nominate candidates, including themselves. If nominated by someone other than yourself, that person must be from your respective Area. A candidate is ineligible to fill a current or future vacancy as a Director or Alternate Director if another member of the same chapter/local has been elected, by a Caucus from the same area, to serve as a Director during the period of time. Nominations can take place at the Area Caucuses prior to the Annual Meeting or at the caucuses to be held during our Annual Meeting. If you would like to nominate yourself or another member and cannot attend the Annual Meeting, please email your nomination to me and I’ll make sure your nomination is made during the Annual Meeting. Ballots will be mailed to elected delegates soon after the Annual Meeting. If you have any questions about this process, please let me know.
The terms held by the following MSEA-SEIU members expire Dec. 31, 2020, unless otherwise noted. All expiring terms, including vacancies, will be voted on by delegates to the 2020 Annual Meeting:
- Area 1 Directors: Tom Maher (termed out); Vacant; Vacant, expiring 12/31/21; Vacant Alternate Director expiring 12/31/21
- Area 2 Directors: Jennifer Neumeyer (termed out); David Projansky; Alternate Director Kris Segars
- Area 3 Directors: JB Whipple; Rachel Sherman
- Retiree Directors: Bob Ruhlin; Penny Whitney-Asdourian; Alternate Retiree Director Ray Dzialo
- Finance Committee: Jane Gilbert; Kevin Russell; 1st Alternate Elizabeth Cousins; 2nd Alternate Jeff Doyon; 3rd Alternate Kerem Gungor; 4th Alternate Vacant
- VEBA (Voluntary Employee Benefits Association): Area 1: Lorraine Curtis and Area 1 Alternate James Kurtz; Area 2: Cynthia Oakes and Area 2 Alternate Cheryl Dugal; Area 3: Laurian Doucette and Area 3 Alternate Doug Winterich
- PASER (Nominations are made during Annual Meeting): Area 1: Loren Snow, Tom Maher and Alternate James Willis; Area 2: Jane Gilbert, Maryanne Griffin, Ramona Welton and a vacant Alternate position; Area 3: Frank Kadi, Doug Winterich and a vacant Alternate position
All candidates can submit a candidate statement and photo for publication in the Maine Stater.Statements and photos must be received at MSEA-SEIU headquarters by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020. If you would like to have your photo taken for this purpose, email Tom Farkas or call 1-800-452-8794 or 622-3151 ext. 1127. Email candidate statements and photos (high-resolution JPGs please) here or mail to: Maine Stater, MSEA-SEIU Local 1989, 65 State St., Augusta, ME 04330-5126
Click here for a poster with this info for your union bulletin boards. Thank you and stay safe.
Dean Staffieri President, MSEA-SEIU Local 1989