Representational Services Roundup as of Feb. 16
2017 MSEA-SEIU steward trainings set: MSEA-SEIU stewards: Please mark your calendars for the following steward trainings listed below. All trainings run from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., with the registration table opening at 8 a.m.:
- Our 2017 Statewide Steward Skills Training Program is Wednesday, April 19, at Augusta Civic Center. This is our new date. We will send out registration cards in mid-March.
- Our 2017 Regional Steward Skills Training Programs will take place as follows:
Portland, Clarion Hotel, Tuesday, Sept. 12;
Augusta Civic Center, Thursday, Sept. 21;
Bangor, Spectacular Event, Wednesday, Sept. 27;
Presque Isle, Northeastland Hotel, Thursday, Sept. 28
Adjunct Faculty Bargaining Unit of the Maine Community College System
As the Feb. 16 Stater was going to press, MSEA-SEIU members of the Adjunct Faculty Bargaining Unit of the Maine Community College System were filling out surveys identifying priorities for their upcoming contract negotiations with management. Members of the union negotiating team will meet Feb. 28 at MSEA-SEIU headquarters in Augusta to begin reviewing the survey results. Bargaining unit members should complete the survey no later than Feb. 22. Union negotiating team members are: Paul Trahan, Ralph Carmona, Luci Levesque , Camilla Lofving, Richard Rottkov, Herb Adams, Mike Turcotte, Rita Perron, and MSEA-SEIU Field Representative and Chief Negotiator Meg Reilly.
City of Auburn
MSEA-SEIU members in our City of Auburn Bargaining Unit on Feb. 6 ratified a new-three year contract retroactive to July 1, 2016. The contract runs through July 1, 2019. The contract provides pay raises as follows: Year One: 2 percent cost of living adjustment plus up to 1 percent adjustment based upon performance, retroactive to July 1, 2016; Year Two: 2 percent cost of living adjustment plus up to 1 percent adjustment based upon performance; Year Three: 2 percent cost of living adjustment plus up to 1 percent adjustment based upon performance. The contract adds the following positions to the bargaining unit: Accounting, Compliance & Underwriter; City Planner; Court Officer PD; Crime Analyst/GIS; GFTV Station Manager; GFTV Video Tech; Neighborhood Service Coordinator; and Support Services Tech – PD. The contract also adds gender identity and gender expression to its nondiscrimination language.
City of Lewiston
MSEA-SEIU members in our City of Lewiston Bargaining Unit will be gearing up for contract negotiations with management. The current contract expires June 30, 2017.
Executive Branch of Maine State Government
The following MSEA-SEIU members were elected to serve on our 2017-2019 Executive Branch Union Negotiating Team:
- Operations, Maintenance and Support Services Bargaining Unit: Glenn Jalbert, Shawn Kelley and Dean Levasseur;
- Administrative Services Bargaining Unit: Tracy Bonnevie, Cindy Proulx and Debra Stowe;
- Supervisory Services Bargaining Unit: Dave Projansky, Maureen Sullivan and Charles “Chuck” Dame. Note: Two candidates from the Supervisory Services were nominated and elected. The MSEA-SEIU President appointed the third member, Charles “Chuck” Dame, who works in the Department of Corrections.
- Professional-Technical Services Bargaining Unit: Andrea LaPointe, Tom Maher and Michael McCormick.
As the Feb. 16 Stater was going to press, members of the union negotiating team were preparing to begin contract negotiations with management. Twenty-seven negotiation sessions are scheduled.
Judicial Branch of Maine State Government
MSEA-SEIU members in our Judicial Branch bargaining units have elected the following MSEA-SEIU members to serve on their respective unit’s union negotiating teams:
- Administrative Services Bargaining Unit: Lisa Morgan, captain; Andy Frechette; Sam Turcotte; Nickole Wesley; first alternate: Kim Dillingham; second alternate: Darcey Emery; and third alternate: Jan Gilbert;
- Professional Services Bargaining Unit: Janette Cook, captain; Claire Bell; Curt Lefebvre; Robin Saucier; first alternate: Maureen Whitehouse; and second alternate: Michelle Guerrette;
- Supervisory Services Bargaining Unit: Ronda Nelson, captain; Laurie Pratt; and Darlene Richards;
- Law Enforcement Bargaining Unit: Glenn Rice, captain; Mark Tibbetts; Peter Baker; Tom Richardson; and alternate: Herb Torberg.
The union negotiating team members held their initial preparatory meeting Jan. 14 (see photo on page 4 of your Feb. 16 Stater) at which they began reviewing bargaining proposals submitted by MSEA-SEIU members. The team will meet again Feb. 25 to continue preparations, including review of the comprehensive pay study report.
Lewiston Public Schools
MSEA-SEIU members in our Lewiston Public Schools Bargaining Unit will be gearing up for contract negotiations with management. Their current contract expires June 30, 2017.
Maine Community College System Support Unit
As the Feb. 16 Stater was going to press, MSEA-SEIU members who serve on the Support Unit’s bargaining committee were preparing to elect the union negotiating team that will negotiate with management a successor contract to the one expiring June 30.
Maine People’s Alliance
MSEA-SEIU members at the Maine People’s Alliance have ratified their first successor contractual agreement. The three-year contract runs from Dec. 31, 2016, through Dec. 30, 2019. The agreement adds field canvassers to the bargaining unit and maintains annual cost-of-living adjustment provisions. The agreement also extends the length of time members can be off work with the birth, adoption or placement of a child from six weeks to ten weeks. In addition, the agreement adds employer-paid, long-term disability insurance. MPA members Jennie Pirkl, Gen Lysen, Will Ikard and Blake MacLellan, and MSEA-SEIU Field Representative and Chief Negotiator Meg Reilly served on our union negotiating team.
York County Government
MSEA-SEIU members remain in wage-reopener negotiations with management under the terms of the contract expiring June 30, 2017.
Maine Public Employees Retirement System Supervisory Services Bargaining Unit
Members of the Supervisory Services Bargaining Unit at MePERS have ratified their tentative agreement on a general salary increase as part their wage-reopener negotiations. The agreement calls for a 1.5 percent general salary increase effective Nov. 1, 2016, retroactively.
Maine Turnpike Authority Employees Unit
MSEA-SEIU members in our Employees Unit at the Maine Turnpike Authority ratified their three-year tentative contractual agreement with management. The contract runs from Jan. 1, 2017, through Dec. 31, 2019. In addition to a $2,000 signing bonus upon ratification, the contract provides for cost of living adjustments as follows: 3 percent for 2017; 2.5 percent in 2018; and 2 percent in 2019.
Maine Turnpike Authority Supervisors Unit
MSEA-SEIU members in our Supervisors Unit at the Maine Turnpike Authority ratified their three-year tentative contractual agreement with management. The contract runs from Jan. 1, 2017, through Dec. 31, 2019. In addition to a $2,000 signing bonus upon ratification, the contract provides for cost of living adjustments as follows: 3 percent for 2017; 2.5 percent in 2018; and 2 percent in 2019.