MEMBER POLITICAL COORDINATOR
MAINE STATE EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATION – SEIU LOCAL 1989
Summary: Maine State Employees Association SEIU Local 1989 is seeking to fill a Member Political Coordinator position.
Description: MSEA-SEIU Local 1989 is a 13,000-member labor union representing public and private sector employees throughout the State of Maine. Local 1989 has aggressive political and lobbying programs, based on the premise that political power is critical in order to improve our members’ lives, and for the delivery of quality public services to Maine’s citizens. The Member Political Coordinator will assist in implementing these programs by, among other things, developing a legislative outreach program, increasing participation in the Union’s political action committee, working on political campaigns, and aiding our lobbying efforts during the legislative session.
1. Under the supervision of the Legislative and Political Director, work with members to develop a statewide legislative outreach program that builds political power in our members’ communities.
2. Work with members and staff to increase PASER (Political Action for Service Employees and Retirees) contributions by implementing programs to educate and recruit members.
3. Assist in lobbying efforts in the State House.
4. Work on endorsed candidate and referendum campaigns as assigned.
- Commitment to building political power for working people;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate to workers from a wide range of backgrounds;
- Ability to be self-directed, think on your feet, and solve problems creatively;
- Must be able to work independently and follow strategic campaign plans;
- Must have some familiarity with the legislative and lobbying process and the ability to research, prepare and deliver testimony;
- Recruit and train members to lobby effectively;
- Work as assigned to electoral campaigns;
- Familiarity with computers, internet research tools, and Microsoft Office applications;
- Ability to work with coalition partners and community groups to achieve common goals;
- Must be able to travel for extended periods, and to work long and irregular hours, including weekends as needed;
- Must have a car and a valid driver’s license;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in political science or related field.
This position is a bargaining unit position. MSEA-SEIU is committed to diversity and encourages women and minorities to apply for this position. Send resume, references and writing sample to: Jessica Doody, Executive Assistant, MSEA-SEIU Local 1989, 65 State Street, Augusta, ME 04330 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission is: December 16, 2016